Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Black Friday Shopping Up 16 Percent



Results from a new survey released on Tuesday show that Black Friday shopping is going to jump 16 percent this year. Approximately 57 million people have said that they are definitely doing their shopping on Black Friday compared to the 49 million people that shopped on Black Friday in 2008, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation. Along with those shoppers, another 77 million said they will wait and decide after seeing the weekend deals and sales.



So, what do you think about all of the sales, deals, and "doorbusters" that people seem to be obsessed with? Is it worth it to wait in line at 5 a.m. to get the greatest deals?


From the results of the survey, about 10.3 percent will get to stores as early as midnight to shop for the best deals, while another 28.8 percent decided to start around dawn, between 4 and 6 a.m. Aside from the people shopping at those horrendous times, 28.2 percent said they would most likely shop between 7 and 9 a.m. Do any of those hours seem appealing during a long weekend? I understand that people want to get shopping done. As a college student, I feel differently now because I enjoy my precious hours of sleep. What category would you fall into if you were to go shopping on Black Friday?


Many stores such as Toys R Us, Kohl's, JCPenney, Herberger's, and Macy's will have amazing deals that start very early in the day on Friday. Walmart is also adjusting time in order to get more people through their stores. Of their stores, 810 are not open 24-hours a day on a normal basis, but they will be open all night for Black Friday.


Another topic that this article brought up was the option of online shopping. Retailers have great offers online as well as in their stores. From the individuals that were surveyed, 27.6 percent said that they would shop online. I definitely use this option more now than I used to. Last year, I did most of my shopping online. I find it so much easier to view items online and not venture out into the weather and crowds in order to shop.


So, after hearing these statistics, what do you think? Are they what you expected? Do you think they will rise even more in the future years? Also, what kind of shopping experience do you prefer?


Also, check out the video on preventing Black Friday deaths!

3 comments:

  1. I kind of am not surprised because I think people are wanting to find good deals. I've never been a Black Friday shopper, but this year I'm having my uncle (an avid Black Friday shopper) pick up a TV for me, which is $150 less than normal price that day. I don't really like crowds when I shop, but there can be some great deals that day. I probably wouldn't ever order something online that day just because of shipping charges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eden,

    I’ve gone shopping on black Friday for the past two years and survived. I actually enjoyed it. It was busy and stressful at times, but for the most part the deals were so good that I forgot all of the other stuff that goes along with it. I am from Canada and in Canada we don’t have black Friday we have boxing day. Boxing day takes place on December 26 and follows the same idea as Black Friday. My boxing day experiences have been far worse than Black Friday and the deals better too. I have had to wait in half hour long lines just to get into a store…never mind try anything on or purchase it. People go crazy over a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never even considered going shopping on Black Friday until this year. I was in Minneapolis this year and my girlfriend and my sister thought it would be fun to go to the Mall of America. I usually prefer to do my shopping when I'm the only one in the store, for example going to Wal-Mart at midnight. But I have to admit, it was kind of fun to see all the people packed into the mall and running around looking for great deals. I spent a total of $2.13 while I was there.

    ReplyDelete