Thursday, December 3, 2009

College Requiring Physical Fitness for Graduation

Do you know what your BMI, or Body Mass Index, is? Do you know if that number is healthy on the scale for body mass?


For your information, a body mass index of over 30 is considered to be reflective of obesity. I've calculated my body mass index several times in my life, and I am technically "slightly overweight" according to the scale.


I'm sure most, if not all, of us have taken a fitness and wellness course at some point in our college careers and schooling. These health and fitness classes allow students to learn more about what it takes to live a healthy life. Exercise is a prime focus in these courses.


But, what if your body mass index determined whether or not you would be required to complete a physical fitness course in order to graduate? This exact situation is taking place at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania. At Lincoln, students with a body mass index over 30 are required to participate in a fitness class called "Fitness for Life" where they are able to participate in water aerobics, Tai Bo, and aerobic dance. I'm sure several other activities are offered as well. Some students find the class and program to be just fine. It offers anyone the chance to learn more about physical fitness. In one way, I understand the need for physical fitness courses in college, but it also brings up controversial topics such as privacy. Students should not be required to take the course just because of their size and weight. I completely agree that a class should be required for every student, but placing certain students into another category seems kind of harsh.


Now, when I took fitness and wellness as a freshman, I took it in the summer as an online course. That sounds really weird, I know. It was somewhat strange having an online course that involved physical activity. I think I would have liked to experience from a face-to-face point of view. We were asked to calculate our body mass index as well as other factors that made up our physical fitness profile. All of the information that we gathered helped us to define what areas of fitness we wanted to work on, and the areas that we exceled in as well. I enjoyed some of the activities that we were asked to perform, and I wish that I continued my physical fitness activities more.


Now, I still run and exercise fairly often, but there are definitely things that I want to work towards. Currently, my sister and I are training for a 5K as part of the Fargo Marathon this spring. Do you have any physical fitness goals? What do you think about physical fitness courses and their requirements and activities?

4 comments:

  1. Eden,

    I have to say that I agree with you. I think it’s great to offer physical fitness courses in college. Most people do gain weight at college, me included. I think it is important to emphasize the importance of physical fitness at a young age. If it is engrained in us in elementary, high school and college or university, than we are more likely to continue to live that way for the rest of our adult lives. I do not think it is fair though to force people to take a class because they are overweight.
    I don’t really have any big fitness goals myself, although I would like to. Mine are smaller like loose a few inches here, tone up this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I want to say that I hate the BMI measuring tool. The one I used only took into account the weight and the height, failing to measure how much muscle a person has. And since I have a lot of muscle for a girl, I have always been classified as overweight.

    Secondly, my fitness goal is to complete another half marathon like I did last year. It really gives me a sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this being done before and am not sure how to take it. I think it is a great idea that they are pushing exercise and good health on college students. College is usually the place where we all get more freedom than when we live at home with mom and dad. Where they can kind of control what we eat and how much physical activity we are getting. In college you have to make that decision for yourself and to have the school have classes for you and make it a priority almost I think is a good thing. I am not sure by putting their hard earned degree on the line is really fair either. I mean the weight gain we do get is in part to the stress that school puts on us in the first place isn’t it? Haha I don’t know about that either but it seems a little drastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think this is a terrible idea. Obesity is a big problem in the United States and I think that it should be addressed more. Now, I know that it wouldn't really be fair for the people classified as obese to only have to take it but how else would you address it? I think it would be more effective to make the non-athletes in grade 5 and up take a class where they need to be exercising for an hour. I thought it was dumb in high school where I was playing three sports and then I had to go to phy ed and do the shuttle run. I don't have many fitness goals but I started working out more consistently like a month ago because I was starting to become really lazy. And now, when I don't work out I just feel like crap. I think it gets addictive when you start making improvements in your physique.

    ReplyDelete